President Obama’s Record on Empowering Ladies and Girls
S ince the President Obama took office, he has fought for policies that are important for women and will expand opportunity for all Americans day. He is finalized major legislation like the low-cost Care Act, the reauthorization regarding the Violence Against Women Act, and also the LiвЂЋlly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act вЂ” the initial legislation he signed into law. He is considerably expanded pay that is fair paid keep protections. Along with his administration has methodically motivated towns and states to embrace policies like greater minimum wage and paid leave.
Underpinning these actions, the President has spoken away and driven a conversationвЂЋ about treating females fairly in the us and around the globe. He has got pressed for social modification that provides ladies the respect they deserve in schools as well as in workplaces, and joined up with advocates in significantly changing our country’s way of intimate attack on campuses and 5 year age gap dating somewhere else. That discussion has spurred alterations in towns and cities and states, companies big and tiny, schools from very early training to raised training.
The White home Council on Women and Girls (CWG), that the President created in March of 2009, has played an energetic part in focusing on these problems. The CWG is made up of representatives from each Federal agency, along with each White House workplace, and coordinates efforts across Federal agencies and divisions to ensure the requirements of females and girls are taken into consideration in most scheduled programs, policies, and legislation. Find out about the work that is CWGвЂ™s.
Let me reveal a review of the progress that’s been made underneath the federal government on problems that affect therefore women that are many girls in the united states.
Expanding Economic Opportunity
President Barack Obama signs into law the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into the East Room associated with White home. January 29, 2009. (Formal White Home Picture by Joyce Boghosian)
Have the complete record: down load PDF
Battling for equal pay
- Finalized the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which empowers ladies to recoup wages lost to discrimination by making it much easier to bring pay discrimination claims
- Prohibited contractors that are federal retaliating against workers whom elect to talk about their settlement
- produced the nationwide Equal Pay Task Force to split straight down on violations of equal pay legislation
- Worked using the Department of Labor additionally the Equal Employment chance Commission to announce a new proposition needing companies with 100 or maybe more employees to submit summary pay information by sex, competition, and ethnicity, helping concentrate general general general public enforcement of current guidelines
- over repeatedly called on Congress to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act
Promoting wider financial involvement through contemporary workplace techniques and opportunity that is educational
- Led the way in which on compensated unwell and household leave, including signing A administrator purchase needing federal contractors to deliver as much as 7 compensated sick times every year to workers focusing on federal agreements, and contacting Congress to pass through legislation supplying the same premium leave to many People in america. Since 2014, four states have actually passed away compensated ill and family members leave regulations, including Vermont, and recently, ny passed a compensated household leave legislation and Ca expanded its paid family members leave system. Since 2014, 24 cities and counties took action on compensated ill leave and 21 towns and counties took action on paid family leave.
- Called on Congress to pass through the Healthy Families Act which may enable an incredible number of working People in america to earn as much as 7 days each year of paid time that is sick
- Needed federal contractors to raise their minimum wage and also to carry the tipped minimum wage (which disproportionately impacts females), and led a nationwide push for an elevated minimum wage, supporting minimal wage increases in 18 states and also the District of Columbia also 29 towns and counties
- Extended minimum wage and overtime defenses beneath the Fair work guidelines Act to house healthcare employees
- Expanded overtime defenses to around 4.2 million workers вЂ“ more than 1 / 2 of who are females
- Prohibited contractors that are federal discriminating in work based on intimate orientation or sex identification
- Spent $2 billion to dramatically expand partnerships between companies and community universities to get ready students for in-demand jobs in industries like medical care, information energy and technology
- Worked to grow participation in STEM industries by motivating mentoring to guide ladies in their educational and experiences that are professional supporting efforts to retain ladies in the STEM workforce
Stopping the period of poverty
- Cut jobless by over fifty percent to 4.7 per cent during an archive streak of private sector work creation, and paid down youngster poverty further within the last 2 yrs than it is often lower in any kind of two-year-period since 2001
- Enhanced the Earned Income Tax Credit as well as the Child Tax Credit which can be assisting 16 million families that are working make ends fulfill
- Worked using the sector that is private tackle the diaper space while increasing usage of affordable diapers to simply help the nearly 1 in 3 US families who find it difficult to pay for enough diapers due to their children
- Worked to bolster high-poverty communities through better federal partnership with regional leaders in position just like the 22 metropolitan, rural, and tribal communities which were designated as Promise Zones since 2014
- Battled homelessness through the Opening Doors plan which, up to now, has led to significant decreases in veteran, chronic, and household homelessness
- Caused a coalition of womenвЂ™s foundationsвЂ”Prosperity TogetherвЂ”who have actually collectively committed $100 million to a 5-year financing effort to enhance financial success for low-income ladies, especially ladies and girls of color
- Involved available data and technology to enable females and girls and expand ladders to possibility through the ability venture, a platform for making use of Federal and neighborhood information and electronic tools to help individuals navigate information about resources they must flourish
Fighting against individual trafficking
- Through the Department of work, the Department of Justice, while the Department of State, played a crucial role in fighting individual trafficking through the civil enforcement of federal work laws and regulations, research and money for grants offshore, and work and training expertise